- Using machine learning in an NFL confidence pool http://theinstitute.ieee.org/ieee-roundup/opinions/ieee-roundup/how-to-use-machine-learning-to-beat-your-friends-in-an-nfl-confidence-pool
- How eBay enterprise uses machine learning to detect fraudsters http://www.datanami.com/2015/12/21/tis-the-season-to-hunt-fraudsters-with-big-data/
- Free data mining software:http://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/4-packages-for-data-analysis - R and Weka are there of course, hadn't heard of Orange before.
- List of some real-world machine learning data sets: http://www.kdnuggets.com/2015/12/tour-real-world-machine-learning-problems.html The academic ones are all really well known (that is, old)
- datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/internet-of-things-selected-articles The Internet of Things is become really important in computational intelligence - so much data to model!
- 15 words you shouldn't use if you want to sound smarter-I'd be happy if people stopped confusing "infer" and "imply" http://mashable.com/2015/05/03/words-eliminate-vocabulary/?utm_cid=p-disp-fb%23lHxBPJzBTRqW#kMQHWVmxvGqw
- Big Data in agriculture - CI has a big role to play in agro/ecol data processing as well: http://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/big-data-in-agriculture-ddw2-1
- Getting your paper noticed: http://blogs.nature.com/naturejobs/2016/01/06/five-top-tips-for-getting-your-paper-noticed … One of the five points is using social media: http://www.fasttrackimpact.com/#!Create-a-social-media-strategy-for-your-research-that-delivers-real-impact/hmlp3/564df9090cf20af044b924ca
- Bias is a potential problem in all data sets, not just Big Data: http://www.datanami.com/2016/01/08/beware-of-bias-in-big-data-feds-warn/
- Applying ANN to proteomics: https://agenda.weforum.org/2015/12/how-machine-learning-helps-biologists-crack-lifes-secrets/ Something I was looking at about 15 years ago...
- 5 papers on Deep Learning explained: http://www.kdnuggets.com/2016/01/more-arxiv-deep-learning-papers-explained.html
- Yahoo releases a 1.5 TB data set: https://thestack.com/cloud/2016/01/14/yahoo-news-dataset-artificial-intelligence-news-feed/
- The differences between machine learning, machine intelligence, deep learning and AI: http://www.kdnuggets.com/2016/01/what-is-machine-intelligence-ml-deep-learning-ai.html
- Finding whales in ocean photographs, a step-by-step tutorial: http://www.datasciencecentral.com/profiles/blogs/finding-whales-in-ocean-water-edge-detection-blob-processing-and
- Deep learning projects on GitHub: http://www.kdnuggets.com/2016/01/top-10-deep-learning-github.html
- Having kids is a disadvantage in a research career: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160111092607.htm - I'd rather have my daughter than a high-powered career
- AI is set to wipe out a lot of casual and low-skilled jobs: http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/i-robot-you-unemployed/
- Machine Intelligence in the Real World-how companies go to market: http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/26/machine-intelligence-in-the-real-world/
- Uploading a paper to http://academia.org gives more citations over time: https://www.academia.edu/12297791/Open_Access_Meets_Discoverability_Citations_to_Articles_Posted_to_Academia.edu Can't cite a paper that can't be found
Friday, January 15, 2016
Weekly Review 15 January 2016
Been away on my summer vacation the last few weeks, so not been able to blog much. Some interesting links that I Tweeted about since the last review a month ago: